SafeSky timeout due to inactivity

As of Version 2.0 SafeSky seems to timeout, switches itself out of fly mode and disables the GDL90 interface to SkyDemon. This is not a device specfic problem as I have two independant devices running on the aircraft following the same route. Both disconnect.

To clarify. I have SafeSky and SkyDemon running on an IPad and an IPhone. Each device has its own cellular internet connection. I.e they are independant, but the problem occurs on both devices albiet at different and random times. See inactivity message below. When this a happens SafeSky displays the ā€œFlight logsā€ page.

Until today I have had faultless service from SafeSky, but this problem renders the product useless.

1 Like

Hello @simonsmart99

We introduce a feature to stop SafeSky when inactivity is detected.
I donā€™t understand why the second device running Skydemon and NOT SafeSky has the same problem? Could you be more precise?

Anyway Tristan is on your issue and we will come back asapā€¦

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Hello SafeSky

Many thanks for your reply.

I have both an Ipad and an Iphone running when I fly to provide device redundancy.
Both devices have a sim card and receive their own mobile data.
The Ipad runs SafeSky and Skydemon using GDL90.
The IPhone also runs SafeSky and SkyDemon using GDL90.
They are complety autonomous in case one had to fail.

SafeSky which runs on both devices failed with the inactivity alert, which is to be expected if this is indeed a new feature as you have suggested.

I did notice this happening when I had set SafeSky to fly mode before takeoff and the takeoff was subsequenly delayed. I fly an open cockpit microlight which makes restarting SafeSky midair fairly challenging.
When using GDL90, SkyDemon obtains its GPS source from SafeSky. When SafeSky shuts down due to inactivity I obviously lose my GPS source, and this happened midair whilst flying yesterday.

Can you confirm why an ā€œinactivityā€ feature is even required? Surely if I decide to consume mobile data that is my own choice. If this ā€œfeatureā€ is to remain can you at least provide a user specified timeout duration, with the option of selecting an indefinate period? ie ā€œneverā€.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi, I would also be interested in hearing why this ā€žfeatureā€œ was introduced. Up until recently, I was able to activate skysafe and Skydemon after climbing into the aircraft. After refuelling and performing my ground checks the app was still running fine in the background. Now it is necessary to reactivate the Safesky app after refuelling. The problem is I often donā€˜t notice this until at some point during the flight, which is very annoying and to be honest quite dangerous, too, as I really donā€™t want to have to play around with my iPad during flight.

Could you please provide the option for the user to be able to set the time limit for this new feature, that would be great!

Thanks for your feedback.
Weā€™ll check if we can manage this.

Fly safe

Hi Chrisophe
Thank you for your reply.
I have been very happy with SafeSky up until now, however this ā€œfeatureā€ is a deal breaker. If it cannot be resolved I would not renew my subscription, and I am sure I will not be alone in that view. I trust it can be resolved.

1 Like

I confirm that we are working on itā€¦@Tristan

Hello,

The primary raison to incluse an auto-stop for inactivity is to prevent people who ā€˜forgotā€™ to turn off SafeSky after a flight and are reporting from home continuously at night for instance.

The next release includes a much longer delay and will prompt to confirm the inactivity. It also have an exclusion for stationary aircrafts, such as helicopters, gyro, balloon or paragliders.

We will continue to improve this depending on raised use-cases.

Fly Safe,

Tristan

Hi Tristan
Thank you for the feedback.

That is of course a very valid reason, and I guess an inactivity delay of an hour or so would resolve the problem.

I presume that applications such as SkyDemon use the destination coordinates to determine that the flight is complete. I wonder if it would work for SafeSky to trigger the 1 hour timeout once the aircraft reaches terrain altitude having been at a higher altitude?
Probably overly complex, but just an idea.

Many thanks for trying to resolve thisā€¦