No internet connection

Hello everybody, I use Safe Sky with iPhone 12 pro, iOS 15.3 and iPad mini 4 with SkyDemon in hotspot with the phone and I love it but…too many times in flight the message “no internet connection” appears! At low altitude it works fairly well but as soon as you go up a little there is no connection. The most antipatic problem is that it also makes me completely lose the localization on SkyDemon so, on every flight, I always decide to disconnect it and not use. The problem is not of a single area because I fly in most of the Italian territory. I’m a premium memeber and I like SafeSky but i think that in this way it makes no sense to use it. Any possible solutions? Thank you

I had the same issue, first time I used it flying out of Popham trade fair on a very busy day. It lost my connection with skyecho and last my position on the map. I’ve not used it since and have cancelled my premium subscription, gone back to just skyecho. If they sort it out, I’ll go back to both :crossed_fingers:

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your message. I totally share your frustration if Sky Demon is loosing it’s GPS position, this is not expected at all, and we’d like to investigate this bug.

Could you please make sure to enable “Send anonymous logs” from the “Legal section”, and contact me on dev@safesky.app and provide me with the mail address associated with your account on SafeSky (visible from the “Profile section” so that I can see what is happening?

Thanks in advance for your help on this,

Tristan

1 Like

Hello @Iain ,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Please note that you can use both SkyEcho and SafeSky simultaneously (configureable from the “Traffic Sharing” section. In that case, SafeSky is then not responsible for transmitting GPS position to Sky Demon, it’s Sky Echo who does.

With this setup, you will not be affected by the bug reported by @Nick. I personally fly with this configuration, and it’s best of both worlds, since I continue to see my Sky Echo traffic, and SafeSky adds up what Sky Echo does not see. Please let us know how that will work for you on your next flight?

Fly Safe,

Tristan

Hello,
I have the same issue with SafeSky and SkyDemon.
I’ve discussed with Paul Windey about it during the last Est’capades.
He told me that the issue comes from the architecture of the flows between both applications, that requires to send the trafic and the position in the same flow.
In case of internet connection failure, would it be possible for SafeSky to just send the position to SkyDemon, without any trafic information, as if no trafic was detected in the area (and restart to send the trafic once the connection is back). This would allow to keep the position in SkyDemon.
In an other hand, I’ve just sent an email to SkyDemon’s support (usually efficient) to ask them if SkyDemon could use the internal GPS of the device as a failover of the external source (SafeSky in this situation).
I hope that one will improve the solution, possibly both ?!

Thanks for the information and your interest. Please keep us informed about SkyDemon’s opinion as well. Bye

I think Skydemon already had that feature since 3.15.2:
“When SkyDemon detects the connection to your device has failed you can choose to temporarily revert to Location Services, so you can keep navigating and logging your flight. When SkyDemon detects your traffic receiver is working again it will automatically switch back.”

Greetings, Sander

Hi Ltrizac, have you received any response on this issue? You solved?

I am having the same issues.
Above 4000 ft connection goes off and it becomes a mess to reset or reconfigure while you are flying your airplane.
Not very neat.
I am a premium user and I think the potential of the App is immense, but it doesn’t work well for me making it unreliable. please fix it.

I spoke with SkyDemon team and they say that you cannot automatically switch to using internal GPS if you device loses its GPS fix. You would need to manually exit navigation mode before re-entering it and selecting Location Services as your GPS source.

I am a new user since few days.I read the discussion about sky demon nevertheless my problem is that the app works well on te ground but as soon as I take off the internet connection disappears and only occasionally come back.I tested with 2 internet providers (different cards) with the same results.My tablet is android in Italy.
Do i make some mistake ? any suggestion ?

1 Like

Hi Dedoc,

Thanks for your message and interest in SafeSky. Sorry for the inconveniences you are experiencing.

There are indeed some issues with Android. It is not a problem of SafeSky, but of Android that is cutting or not allowing the connection with SafeSky in some Android settings in your phone, e.g :

• battery saving mode,
  • not allowing internet connection for SafeSky in background mode
  • not allowing wifi and 4G together

If this persists after looking to the setting, please send a message to infor@safesky.app with your settings, (device model, android version) so that we can try to help you.

Best regards,
Paul

Thanks Paul, I understand your suggestions,but I already did .
I think to have found the reasons of my problem.
The problem was due to the tablet position on the contro wheel. It does not receive well the internet.No chance to have success ,at list in my Cessna T210 Centurion.

For now I solved the problem using an “hot spot” placed just under the windscreen and connected to the tablet via wifi.

The tests ,conducted between 1.000 and 4.000 ft. ,evidenced that not all the internet providers (at least in northern Italy) work in flight for the purpose .May be it is due to their local ground repeater stations.

I found that TIM provider works well and in my test flights it never diconnected.

Iliad (french provider with its own stations in Italy) ,works 50/100.

Coop Voce (italian virtual provider that uses the tim network) does not work at all.

Thaks for your support and attention

Paolo

ing.Paolo Montanari
cell. +39 347 2698231
e-mail: montanari.paolo@virgilio.it

Well in my case it doesn’t happen.
I fly in the mountains and Mobile coverage is grim. Safesky works on and off due to signal weakness, very unreliable. then SkyDemon kicks in saying it has lost Location from GDL90 and goes wacky too. Then you have to reset everything while flying the plane while looking out for traffic. Very messy.
I have to say that SkyDemon is way more stable than SafeSky. At least where I fly
Border of Spain and France, over the Pyrynees.

Thanks Paolo!

Coverage and reception depends on provider, as on quality of tel/tablet and its installation on board.
You found the best solution: installing a router with Wi-Fi hotspot. If you add an external antenna, you have the best available reception!
This is a very interesting approach. We will consider this for future developments and look for partners that could help us find the best available devices.

Safe flights!
Paul