UAV realtime position

Hello,

I just purchased the SafeSky Early Bird (Android app), and I am very impressed with the design of the application, the UI etc is very nicely done!

As I am primarly intending to use it with UAV flights (DJI drone) I was wondering if it would be possible to inject the real-time drone position into the app, so it would be dynamically updated? Could this type of functionality be offered via the API?

Many thanks for great work,

Andreas

2 Likes

Following +1

Educated guess here… you can use a ESP32 with OGN here. Very light weight! Since safesky as I understand will use the same networks your drone will be visible to other users of the sky.
There is also SoftRF you can look into…

The only solution I know is to buy a small android device f.ex.
Unihertz Jelly Pro, The Smallest 4G Smartphone in The World, Android 8.1 Oreo Unlocked Smart Phone with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM, Sky Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075276XNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WT14S8SWNSR3P7CNWZA1

Then,
download and run SafeSky then tape/glue it to the drone and transmitt it’s position via the cellular network.

Not an ideal solution… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Any news regarding this?

Is it possible to pull coordinates out from the DJI app and broadcast the position on Safesky via the app on same device?

I am not a programmer but the SDK is available here it seems…
https://developer.dji.com/

If so, This would be a game changer without doubt!

1 Like

Hello Jonas,

I have been investigating this, and created a test app for Android that was able to show the dji data in realtime on SafeSky.

It requires that both apps are running, and that safesky can run in the background transmitting gps position data. The gps data is generated by the custom Android app using the dji sdk.

I hope to be able to do some more tests with this soon, and make a test version available.

/Andreas

1 Like

This is exactly what I have been looking for! Any developments here?

It could be a game-changer for the industry if position sharing from the DJI app to Safesky was made easy.

Hello,

I have an initial test version of Android DJI client app, that reports position to SafeSky by using of controlling the device GPS temporarily (mock location). Any testing of this version is welcome.

I am also looking into using other protocols to relay the position info to Safesky from DJI drones.

Regards,
Andreas

1 Like