S.Sky & SkyDemon hangs (only when S.Sky shares position to S.Demon)

Hi There!
I’ve subscribed S.Sky Premium in order to obtain live traffic displaying on Skydemon.

I managed to make it works, with SafeSky in background and/or with SafeSky in split screen with Skydemon (working on Android 8" tablet)… but…

After about 30 minutes Skydemon reports the error about loosing its positioning knowledge and the tablet hangs, becoming quite irresponsive… it becomes very hard to obtain the desktop and then reach the “task manager” to kill open appes (only those 2 are open when i fly). When i finally manage to kill them both everything starts working again.

This appends only when S.Sky is sharing the position to S.Demon. I can successfully run both apps in split screen for hours if not sharing the position between them.
Same when running SafeSky in background (no split screen) without sharing position to S.Demon: runs smoothly for hours with no problem at all.

Any suggestion?
Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for your message.
Can you specify whether this behaviour occurs in flight or only on the ground?
Can you also check your OS and make sure that battery backup and the ability to work in the background are enabled in the settings?

Take a look at our user manual, where you might find the answer.

This behaviour is not normal, and we will nevertheless be checking this on Android.

Best regards,

• it happens in flight and in ground too, even if standing in the office desk, but you must set both apps in “takeoff” and “fly” mode.

• it happens when on battery and when on power plug too, no difference

• it happens only when sharing location data between the 2 apps, no problem if both app are working with no location sharing, i flew a 4 hours trip yesterday this way.

• if sharing the location it always happens. 20 to 30 minutes after takeoff.

• All battery saving settings are disabled at sysOp level

• the 2 applications have been granted for all permissions and for maximum performance and background operations

• the device is a 4Gb ram android tablet, my idea (i’m an datacenter servers sys admin) is that it runs out of RAM: the amount of time before hanging seems to be pretty consistent: always from 20 to 30 minutes. Kinda like it overflow the RAM with (shared already) location infos by not cleaning the buffer.

I know, a 4Gb tablet is not the best, but i can’t find another good CPU tablet small enough for my cockpit (i must to stick to a 127mm max width).

It’s a Doogee T20 mini.

thank you

Thank you very much for these clarifications, they will be very useful.

I’ll pass it on to the DEV team.
RAM is an option.

1 Like

I’m doing some more tests with a couple slightly different scenarios to investigate RAM: running SafeSky on SmartPhone and SkyDemon on Tablet.

1. → Smartphone on hotspot mode and tablet connected to smartphone wifi.

RESULT: it works for (about) 20 seconds, then SkyDemon looses GPS signal for 20 seconds, then works again for 20 seconds and loose it again… keep on looping like this for the whole time. The 20 seconds period is not consistent, it may change from 10 to 90.

1. → tablet on hotspot mode and Smartphone connected to smartphone wifi (reversed hotspot setup).

RESULT: currently testing successfully in the past 10 minutes… will see if tablet hangs in the next 30 minutes (if so: it’s Skydemon not cleaning the receiving buffer, not a SS issue as it’s not running on the tablet)

• SD on Tablet
  • SS on SmartPhone
  • Tablet in hotspot mode
  • Smartphone connected to tablet’s wifi

RESULT: working since 90 minutes with no problem.

This tells me the issue is probably not caused by SkyDemon.

Same problem here.
Safesky runs OK. Skydemon runs OK as long as both are separate.
But when trying to connect the 2, it will work fine for 10-20 seconds, showing planes in Skydemon, all fine.
Then after 10 or 20 seconds Skydemon loses its position, and skydemon reports: "waiting for device. Device offline for 17 seconds).
No course, no posion in Skydemon anymore.
Then I press: stop navigating. Press “fly” and choose “use location services”
(instead of “use GDL90 compatible device”).
Now both Skydemon and Safesky work fine. But no planes in Skydemon.
This problem started 3 weeks ago.
Google Pixel 6a, Android and all apps up-to-date.